Elective Residency Visa in Italy for American citizens

Obtaining an Elective Residence Visa for Italy, also known as a “Visa for Independent Work,” allows a foreign national to live in Italy without undertaking any form of employment. The applicant must prove they have sufficient financial resources from pensions, annuities, properties, stable economic and income resources, etc. Here’s the typical process:

  1. Prepare Documentation: You’ll need the following documents:

    • Passport or travel document valid for at least three months longer than the visa you are applying for.

    • Completed visa application form.

    • Passport-size photographs.

    • Proof of accommodation in Italy (like property deeds if you own a house there, or a rental agreement).

    • Proof of financial means: You need to prove you have sufficient resources to support yourself without working. This can be through pensions, annuities, income from properties, or other steady and secure sources of income.

    • Health insurance with a minimum coverage of €30,000 for emergency hospitalization and repatriation.

    • In some cases, you might also need to provide a criminal record certificate.

  2. Submit the Application: You must apply for this visa from the Italian embassy or consulate in your country of residence.

  3. Pay the Fee: There’s a fee for the application which must be paid at the time of the visa application submission.

  4. Interview: The embassy or consulate may require an interview. The visa application process can take several weeks, so it’s advisable to apply well in advance of your planned move.

  5. Visa Approval: If your application is approved, you will receive a visa to enter Italy and stay for longer than three months.

  6. Apply for Residence Permit: Once in Italy, within eight days, you should apply for a Permit to Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno) at the local police office (Questura). This permit is what officially allows you to reside in Italy for an extended period. For this, you’ll need your passport, visa, and proof of your Italian address, among other things.

  7. Register at the Town Hall: Once you have your Permesso di Soggiorno, you need to register your residency at your local town hall (Comune) in Italy.

Remember, the process and requirements can vary depending on your country and specific circumstances, so it’s always best to check with your local Italian embassy or consulate for the most accurate information.

Also, it’s worth noting that the Elective Residence Visa doesn’t permit you to work in Italy. If you want to work, you need to apply for a work visa.